The Blind Zone Scanner introduces a new feature for the ROSEN TBIT Ultra Service to inspect aboveground storage tanks.
This service is capable of accurately detecting and sizing even the smallest metal loss defects, enabling decision-making for the integrity management of storage tanks.
Up to this point floor scanners have been unable to reach ALL areas of the tank floor, leaving behind “blind zones,” which typically occur at corners of tank bottom plates and where obstacles such as piping, or heating coils are installed. The smaller configuration of the measurement unit itself means the Blind Zone Scanner is able to reach areas that would otherwise remain uninspected due to the physical limitations of conventional tank floor scanners. Like the TBIT Ultra floor scanner, the Blind Zone Scanner uses high-resolution MFL sensors and an automated detection and sizing algorithm that significantly increases the probability of detection while reducing personnel time in confined spaces.
Also, data from both scanners is provided in the same format and delivered in a single report, reducing the manual effort required to combine different data sets as well errors. The Blind Zone Scanner complements the tank floor scan and allows for maximum detection coverage, reducing uninspected areas by 75 percent.
Ultimately, the Blind Zone Scanner delivers:
- An efficient and cost-effective solution, reducing out-of-service hours and HSE risk by outperforming manual UT inspection
- The ability to scan blind areas of conventional tank floor scanners
- The ability to scan below obstacles such as internal piping and heating coils
- Automated defect detection and sizing
- Full capture and storage of high-resolution mapping data, providing:
- Indications and location (coordinates) of metal loss
- Discrimination between internal and external features
- Measurement of lift off between sensors and steel plate
- Data stitching, i.e., the alignment of data sets from tank floor scanner (TBIT Ultra) and Blind Zone Scanner and plus integration into data management and visualization software (ROSOFT)
Together with the TBIT Ultra Service for tank bottom inspection, the Blind Zone Scanner delivers full-coverage inspection, ensuring operators trust and reliability in their decision-making process for the integrity management of storage terminals.
For more information visit www.rosen-group.com