Managing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions is an important goal for many companies, but it can be challenging to achieve.
Capturing, tracking and analyzing emissions data from the tens to hundreds of sensors located across an industrial site is a complicated task. The manual collection of emissions data takes time, and managing the data with spreadsheets can be tedious and error-prone.
When you think about managing emissions, you might assume organizations focus on emissions from their manufacturing or production activities, but that’s only partially correct. In fact, GHG emissions measurement looks at a range of three activity areas or scopes:
Scope 1 includes emissions from activities under an organization’s direct control.
Scope 2 covers emissions generated from an organization’s purchase and use of energy resources, such as diesel to run fleet trucks or electricity to light a building.
Scope 3 emissions include those from assets and activities that an organization doesn’t directly control. These are emissions from the manufacturing of products an organization purchases, as well as emissions generated by customers using its products.
As you might imagine, the scoping, measurement, calculation and tracking of emissions data are complex and time-consuming processes that can place a tremendous burden on businesses. That’s why organizations that use technology to collect and organize emissions data have a much better chance of making progress toward their net-zero goals.
A better way to manage GHG emissions
Today’s sustainability-focused organizations are looking for an emissions management solution to simplify the way they measure, monitor, reduce and report their GHG emissions. That’s where software can help — by providing an end-to-end emissions system of record, analysis and visualization that empowers users to:
- Visualize enterprise-wide GHG emissions in near real-time to help you make informed decisions.
- Leverage data connectors to automatically ingest data and validate across your enterprise.
- Perform complex calculations on large datasets to calculate accurate GHG emissions accounting.
- Use the latest emissions factors from multiple GHG protocols for calculations.
- Generate compliance reports with the click of a button.
- Empowering industry to accelerate emissions reduction
- According to data from the Honeywell Environmental Sustainability Index, many business leaders around the world are prioritizing sustainability above other initiatives, including financial performance and digital transformation. Within the sustainability category, nearly half of those surveyed (46 percent) identified emissions reduction as a top priority.
Honeywell Forge Sustainability+ for Industrials | Emissions Management is one example of a scalable technology that helps organizations address important compliance, reliability and profitability aspects of the energy transition and decarbonization phases of their businesses.
Learn more about how industrial-grade software can help your organization operate more efficiently, and watch a replay of Honeywell Connect, the premier executive forum dedicated to solving industrials’ most complex performance, sustainability and cybersecurity challenges.
For more information visit www.honeywell.com/us/en