A multi-year partnership has been announced between Tallgrass Energy and Project Canary. It makes Tallgrass’ Rockies Express Pipeline (REX) the first interstate natural gas transmission pipeline in the United States to receive a comprehensive and independent environmental assessment and certification from Project Canary.
The certification standards will be focused on environmental stewardship, operational excellence and real-time emissions detection and monitoring.
- REX will seek operational and emissions certification through independent third-party Project Canary
- REX will be the first pipeline to implement real-time emissions detection and monitoring across all of its compressor stations
- REX will be the first pipeline to differentiate carbon neutral transportation capacity for its customers across its large footprint, enabling the continued evolution of certified carbon neutral gas services across the nation.
- The long-term objectives of the partnership will enable the midstream sector to certify carbon neutral gas transportation capacity and enable tip-to-tip certification and tracking of gas molecules, including responsibly sourced and renewable natural gas to markets seeking to meet new low carbon goals
- The engagement will enable the creation of a standardized certification process for pipeline transmission and storage segments
- Colorado School of Mines will partner with Project Canary to review and validate data
“This first-of-its kind engagement underscores the critical importance of natural gas transmission systems in the energy transition,” said Tallgrass president Matthew (Matt) Sheehy. “Customers want assurances that natural gas is produced responsibly and being transported via low emissions pipeline systems. This agreement with Project Canary validates Tallgrass’ commitment to being a leader in sustainability and will allow REX to measure, manage and mitigate its direct emissions, leading the way to a sustainable future for interstate pipelines by enabling them, in time, to achieve net-zero emissions.”
For more information visit ir.tallgrass.com